Perfecting Samsung Neo QLED 8K
The process of elimination begins with knowing what is essential. Samsung Electronics continually pursues TV design in a manner that reveals its essence through elimination rather than addition.
Functionality is the key focus of most TV products. However, Samsung Electronics designers focus on the core of viewing experiences. The scope of design is expanded from the space where the TV is placed to the way surrounding devices are linked. Factors that hinder immersion were eliminated to be concise, while various lifestyles and viewing environments were carefully studied. The experiences have been arranged with consideration and only the act of viewing, which is the true purpose of the TV, remained.
* The images shown is for illustration purpose only and may differ from the actual product. Product specifications may vary by country, region, and model.
The Infinity Screen, a unique identity of Samsung’s TV design, maximizes immersion by reducing bezel to almost nothing. The boundaries of Samsung Neo QLED 8K are trimmed to near zero by emulating the same essence with more advanced technology and design. The 0.8mm stainless steel frame removes the boundary between the screen and the environment, allowing the screen to practically float in air. To prevent any hindrance to the viewing experience, the Samsung logo was also reduced to a minimum size. This expresses the confidence that the design itself could become an icon without revealing the name.
Despite the slim appearance, the performance and sensibility of the TV are ample and elaborate. Precisely implemented all over the frame, the speaker hole and subwoofer systems in the back emit a rich sound suitable for large screens without a separate speaker. With AI technology, users can enjoy perfectly optimized sounds based on the content and environment. The value of ‘complete’ immersion is upheld inside and out of the screen, while the value of physical ‘thinness’ serves as a complementary benefit.
Experience of One
Most people purchase large screen TVs to enjoy content more vividly, but their experience can be interrupted if the surrounding environment is disorderly. In consideration of users who desire a complete immersive experience, Samsung Electronics re-examined both the usage and space of the product. Wall-mounted TVs usually require various accessories and devices embedded in the wall or fixed on the back of the TV, while stand-type TVs require tables or dressers which often become cluttered with peripheral devices. Designers have redesigned the shape of One Connect to satisfy various usage environments, renewing it to enhance immersion. The optimized size and thickness were determined in consideration of each user environment, and any installation method blends well with the interior due to its plate-type, slim appearance.
Refining the shape of existing One Connect, Samsung Electronics designers have devised the new Attachable Slim One Connect that can be utilized as a stand. The stand has been an integral component of TV design but has not played a role other than screen support until now. Designers combined the Attachable Slim One Connect with the stand, designing a new form that did not interfere with existing functions and overall shape. The result satisfies both aesthetics and space efficiency, effectively hiding the Attachable Slim One Connect under the guise of a regular stand. All elements of TV usage have been meticulously reorganized, such as placing the input module in the back of the TV to the side of the stand so users can easily connect and organize different cables. Complete immersion is maintained by preserving the essence of ‘connection’ of the previous One Connect, while unnecessary and complex elements are eliminated in the surrounding environment.
What Samsung Designers Want to Leave or Remove
- What did you want to inherit most from the identity of Samsung QLED 8K and what did you want to change.
- Jangho Kim The Infinity One Design is created with the value of ‘completeness’ rather than ‘thinness’, and removed every element but the screen to maximize immersion. It clearly expresses the authenticity of Samsung designers and indicates the direction which TVs should essentially move towards. I wanted to inherit the unique identity of Samsung QLED 8K as it is and develop it with a better understanding of users and their spaces. I assumed that harmonizing peak technology with the consideration of consumers will bring special experiences and empathy to various users.
- It seems that decisions and concentration were needed to achieve the design of elimination. What was the main priority for your decision.
- Jigwang Kim While every process of refining the design is not easy, the process of developing the Attachable Slim One Connect design was the most challenging. We wanted to implement the ‘connecting’ functionality in a typical TV stand, which included many obstacles to overcome in the initial development process. Jangho Kim Although its usability has never existed before, I wanted to maintain its beauty and formative perfection. This required a completely new size and shape design, away from the existing One Connect form. To find the best size and form factor, all relevant departments cooperated and spent countless hours on implementation.
- For this task, the analysis of various user environments became the basis of design. What did you learn during this design process. What design elements reflect these insight.
- Sangyoung Lee TV space is becoming more diversified than in the past. As time spent at home increases, the desire for space that reflects one’s taste becomes greater. To fit today’s lifestyle, we analyzed the user experience in a more micro way and considered even the minimal aspects. If the simple yet restrained appearance of the TV is the main factor for the essence of ‘maximizing immersion’, then the Attachable Slim One Connect design was produced in consideration of users and their spaces. I wanted to provide the most reasonable and simple usability.
- As a designer of Samsung Electronics, what do you want to leave behind.
- Jinsu Park I hope stories that are positively discussed in our daily lives are contained in Samsung’s design. The meaning of design is broad and diverse. It gives significant meaning like ‘innovation’, but also conveys ‘simply joy’. I want to practice design that permeates an everyday life with these values.
Important values remain steadfast in the face of change.
The evolution of Samsung TV design is invariably directed toward a better immersion experience. Samsung Electronics designers will continually challenge themselves to maintain the basics and leave only the essence behind.
Go to samsung.com